Battlefield Bad Company 2 PC Crash/Freeze
This has been a very frustrating game for me and for a few others that have posted here. Unfortunately as of this time I cannot recommend this game on the PC. Personally I don’t think this game is worth even 20 dollars, until Dice fixes all the bugs. Single player was fun, but extremely short. Multiplayer is a blast, but crashes. Multiplayer is the bigger part of this game, so no way could I recommend someone go and pay 50 dollars or more for it.
=Possible Workaround Found =
In your settings.ini file found in the MyDocuments/BFBC2 folder, try setting DxVersion=9 instead of auto. Also put all your graphics settings on low and increase them gradually till your system is stable. This is not a fix, but a workaround till Dice patches this bug laden game.
- Workaround Found – Fix #2
Try disabling your onboard audio / Realtek audio device in your BIOS and install a different sound card. I know it’s a horrible thing to have to do but I’ve disabled my onboard Realtek and have been using a Creative XiFi PCI Card for a week or so (several 90min sessions), without a problem. *Thanks to Jeff in the comments.
I’ve been pulling my hair out and scaring the neighbors will yells of profanity over the crashes I’ve been having. It’s been a while since I’ve had a game completely decimate my system the way BadCo2 has. I’m gonna be documenting my crash/freeze problem on here in the hopes that I will either, find a fix, or some nice reader will share theirs.
I recently Installed Bad Company 2 on my PC from the DVD with online authentication. The single player campaign worked flawless with no issues I can remember, no crashes or system lockups. Multiplayer is a completely different story, it will hard lockup my system with a black screen and a sound loop for a few seconds, then my monitor will shut off. The only way to recover is to do a full power off and reboot. The crash will happen randomly, sometimes after 20 minutes, sometimes 1 hour.
My system specs are as follows,
- Windows 7 64bit Ultimate
- AMD Phenom II X4 920
- 8gb Ram
- ATI Radeon 3870
- DFI Lanparty 790GX
- Onboard Realtek Audio
- Corsair 750TX Power Supply
Nothing is overclocked and my system has been rock solid up until this game.
Here are the things I have tried that have not fixed the crash/freeze.
- Updated to Catalyst 10.2, 10.3a, 10.3 Driver
- Updated Realtek HD Audio Driver to 2.44, 2.45
- Turned on/off Voice over IP in game.
- Pointed Window fan at open PC to see if it was a overheating issue.
- Manually Updated Punkbuster.
- Turned off all unused Audio Devices in Volume Properties.
- Lowered graphics settings in Settings.ini
- Installed Motherboard chipset drivers, and audio driver
- Settings.ini Fullscreen=true
- Updated Motherboard BIOS
- Less then 1 Month since Fresh install of Windows 7 x64
- Turned UAC Virtualization off
- Set Affinity to only use a single core
- Ran in Compatibility Mode – Windows XP SP3
- Settings.ini Dxversion=10, Dxversion=9, Dxversion=11, Dxversion=auto
- Settings.ini Refreshrate=59.9 and Vsync=true
- Shortcut options set Compatibility Mode to Windows XP Service Pack 2
I made a video of my system crashing, sorry about the lighting. I was playing for about 7 minutes, and then blam.
Hopefully I will find a fix soon, as I really would like to get into this game.